Ceiling fans are very important in people’s homes because they play an important role in circulating air. The fans retail at different designs and sizes and it is important to go for the ones that meet your needs and expectations. However, you may find that you are not getting the fan that suits your needs and therefore, you may want to custom one. In this article therefore, we are going to look at how you can custom a ceiling fan. By so doing, you will save a lot of time and effort and still get a fan based on your style, finish and lighting needs.
Tips to consider when building custom ceiling fans
There are some tips that you should consider when building custom ceiling fans. These tips will greatly determine what you need in the process of building a fan that meets your needs and expectations. The tips include:
Type of ceiling fan - damp, dry or wet?
The first thing to determine is whether the fan is for indoors or outdoors. This is an important factor for it will determine both the type of material used in the construction as well as how waterproof the ceiling fan is going to be. Dry ceiling fans are ideal for the indoors. On the other hand, damp ceiling fans can be fitted in sunrooms and gazebos that are exposed to humid air. On their part, outdoor ceiling fans are ideal for outdoor spaces where they are exposed to the sun, rain, and salt and other elements. It is important to use the right fan for the right place because the use of indoor ceiling fan on the outside can cause a lot of problems including overheating, damage and water getting into the motor housing.
Motor housing and finish
The motor housing or the fan body is the other option that you need to consider. The best motors are the ones that are energy star rated and are going to give you a good service. Also, it is important to choose the finish of the body. The available finishes include rich brass, nickel, bronze and cocoa finishes. You should go for the one that appeals to you most and matches with the theme of your home as well.
Blade size and styles
When it comes to blade size, this will be dictated by the size of your room. Blade size range from 52 to 54 inches for a small and medium sized room and 58 to 60 inch blades for larger rooms. Also, you need to consider the finish of the blade. This can range from matte snow, walnut, wine country distressed, burnt walnut, solid black mahogany, rosewood distressed, plantation wicker and cottage white.
The next stage is choosing a lighting kit that is ideal for your needs. There are many types of lighting kits available and it is important to choose the right one as this will determine how your home looks. You can either go for the low profile lighting kits or incandescent globe lights that are available in many different designs. You will also find that the bowl light is available in many shades and hues. This includes tea stain, toffee and swirled marble. The different tones are aimed at creating ambience in your homes. You should choose the one that matches with your home.
Ceiling fan height
Ceiling fan height is another important feature that you need to consider when creating ceiling fans for your home. This is because the design and height of your ceiling will play a big role into the choice of the ceiling fan downrod and the type of adapter that you are going to choose. If your ceiling is sloped, you should find a sloping ceiling fan adapter as well. There are guides that can direct you to the right downrod length that is ideal for your home.
At this point, it is important to think of other accessories that you need for your ceiling fan such as a remote control. A remote control is very important especially for ceilings that are too high. This is because it is hard to operate the fan from the wall unit as it can be too high to reach as well. Furthermore, a remote control allows you to operate the fan from the comfort of your sofa or bed and thus you will find it to be very convenient. The good thing is that a downrod will automatically match with the color of the ceiling fan housing.
Custom an old ceiling fans
If you want to have a custom ceiling fan in your home, there are some things that you are needed to do. If you have an old ceiling fan, you can do some things to add to the value. By following the right tips and procedures, you can be able to come up with high quality finish that not only appeals to you but also, able to attract attention from your visitors.
You can perform the following tasks on your old ceiling fans:
- Painting. By changing the paint and installing a new light system, you can transform a dull ceiling fan into something attractive. This is important especially considering that it would be cheaper to custom your old ceiling fan than buying a new one. Changing the light and color are some of the simplest tasks that you can do to your old ceiling fan. However, if you do not have the right skills for the job, consider getting an expert to help you out.
A painting blades ceiling fan
Thank to Alicia Gulini sharing her job on www.pinterest.com.
Boring white ceiling fan to fun in less than 2 hours!
- Disassemble the blades.
- Paint the blades with sky blue acrylic paint. (or can use spray paint)
- Wait for paint to dry (about 45 minutes).
- Use a small brush to paint white fluffy clouds of different shapes and sizes.
- Spray with acrylic paint sealer in matte or gloss.
- Wait 1 hour for sealer to dry.
- Reassemble and enjoy!
- Install chevron pattern blades. Chevron pattern blades will transform the look of your ceiling fan. This is because the new pattern will bring an exiting look to your old ceiling fan. The good thing is that chevron blades comes in different colors and it is easy to find the one that matches with the look of your home.
- Add a lamp shade. It is possible to add a drum lampshade to your old ceiling fan. In addition, you can use different sized nipples to give your ceiling fan a brand new look
- Cage the lighting fixture. You can cover the lighting feature with a cage. This not only gives your old ceiling fan a new look but also, protects the fragile glass bulb from damage.
Cover the lights with a cage
- Use fan covers. One of the simplest ways of customizing an old ceiling fan is by using fan covers. You can slide the fan covers on top of blades to give it a clean look. The good thing is that you can buy fan blades of different colors in order to change the looks of your fan. You can use the covers intermittently to achieve a unique look every time.
- Design a skateboard fan. If you have some old skateboards lurking in your home, you can use the centerpiece to custom a ceiling fan. This can be great especially for your kid’s room.
Just try to custom a ceiling fan, you can greatly transform your house into a great beauty. There are many ways of achieving this end and it important to learn how to do it right. Remember, your ceiling fan is designed to operate optimally and therefore, the customizations that you make on the fan should fall within those tolerances.
If you have something to add on the topic, you can do it on the comment box below this article.